Tuesday, March 23, 2010

be laura

Inspired by Sarah Wilson's latest column, I thought it would be fun to consider what makes me "me". And to embrace that, acknowledging that other people like things and activites that I never will, no matter how hard I try. And, ultimately, stop persisting at trying to find things those things fun, and instead focus upon doing things that make me happy.

So this is what I came up with.

I don't like Red Bull, drum and bass music, turning right on busy roads, being in a rut, narrow-minded people, horror movies, action movies, chipped nail polish, tutorials, other people tagging photos of me on Facebook, reading law textbooks, the mirrors and lighting in (almost all) fitting rooms, tabloid magazines, cleaning my car, chlorine, dry skin, beer, wine, Diet Coke, taking the bus, impoliteness, unwashed hair, bogan culture, tap water, organised religion, dishonest politicians and "deep" Australian novels.

I like reading High Court cases, fresh starts, doing (nice) people's makeup, perfect hands and eyebrows, a little French café near uni, long car drives, songs I know the words to, rereading my favourite novels, freshly blowdried hair, Obama, being inside during thunderstorms, bubble baths, food-based reality shows, salmon, Richard Curtis films, Melbourne, Paris, Zibibbo champagne, love songs, talking to myself in the car, French people, sitting down and talking at parties, multi-tasking, atheist humour, finding kindred spirits, green grapes and cashmere.

So I guess the moral of the story is not necessarily to avoid the things that I don't like at all costs, but to accept that they are things that simply don't add any enjoyment to my life, and that I don't have to pretend or try to like them. Instead, I should turn to those things that I know I do like for my happiness, and only subject myself to the other things for good reason - to make other people happy, because I can't possibly avoid it, etc.

“You can choose what you do, but you can’t choose what you like to do”.
— Gretchen Rubin (The Happiness Project)

No comments: