Tuesday, November 23, 2010

beauty secrets, part five: summer essentials


It is hot. Really hot. Humid, too. With that heat and stickiness comes new beauty needs. Summer calls for a pared-down, low-maintenance beauty regime that presents itself as effortless, pretty, glowy and fresh. Of course, sunscreen is a given, but here are a few of my other product suggestions for the coming months...

1. Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser SPF20 - Illuminating 


This is one of my all-time favourite makeup products. Boasting broad spectrum SPF20 protection, it provides a beautifully luminous, even-toned complexion. It is hydrating, but feels ever-so-light on the skin, with a coverage that is on the fuller end of the tinted moisturiser spectrum. Simply put, it is incredibly pretty and if you buy one beauty product this summer, make it this one. 

2. By Terry Light Expert


As I mentioned in my last makeup post, I have a debilitating weakness for Terry de Gunzberg's luxurious products. This magical wand eliminates dull, tired skin, replacing it with a gorgeous, soft-focus glow. I love mixing this with Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturiser, to make my skin look even more radiant. It provides light-medium coverage but does wonders for evening out the skintone (especially redness), and has what I like to describe as a "velvet matte" finish. This click-pen with an attached brush is designed for the busy modern woman, so it is perfect for travelling and tossing in your handbag to touch up during the day. I am often disloyal to this gem, but when I return to it, I realise that it truly is one of the best foundations on the market. 

3. Nars Blush in Orgasm


Nars Blush in Orgasm is a classic, cult product - for good reason! Patted softly on the cheeks, the silky pigment imparts a perfect peach-pink glow that instantly brightens the skin and mimics a healthy, natural flush. Not too cool, not too warm, it suits almost all skintones and has won countless "best of" awards. Nars products are always of beautiful quality and this is no exception. Confession: I bought mine over two years ago and it is still going strong. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

4. Dior Diorskin Poudre Shimmer in Amber Diamond


This is a recent discovery I made after many, many recommendations from fellow makeup lovers. I dust this on the planes of my face that are naturally hit by the light - my cheekbones, the bridge of my nose, chin, forehead  and cupid's bow - with my Nars Yachiyo Brush (which I lost this weekend - can you believe it?) It has a beyond lovely bronze sheen, and looks absolutely gorgeous in photographs. 

5. Stila One Step Prime Colour in Bronze Babe


This newly released tube has fast become one of Stila's best-selling products. I have always wondered how starlets achieved those perfectly bronzed cheeks I see so often on the red carpet... the bronze that is not too orange, not too brown, with the perfect balance of shimmer and matte. Well, this is it. And it is stunning. 

6. Bobbi Brown Day-to-Night Palette in Warm


I don't know how fast these have flown off the shelves so apologies if this limited edition palette has already sold out! Consisting of a matte highlighter, a matte taupe brown, a dark brown matte contour or eyeliner, two shimmering bronzes and a dark brown shimmer, this perfect array of colours can work in synergy to create an endless supply of eye makeup looks, from barely there, to a soft smokey eye, to a dramatic evening look. A must-have in your makeup wardrobe!

7. Stila Lip Glaze in Starfruit


I have tried a lot of lipglosses in my time, but this one has to be one of - if not THE - most universally flattering of them all. Not quite nude, but not too bright either, it is the perfect shade for a polished, elegant, understated summer look, all the while looking fresh and pretty.

8. Nars Lipgloss in Easy Lover


I have to add a second lipgloss because, if you are anything like me, one is not enough - we need options! This one looks scarily bright in the tube, but goes on sheer, and looks a little something like this...



Yes, it really is that adorable.

9. Hei Poa Beauty Oil


Tahitian Monoi Oil, derived from coconuts, is the Polynesian woman's secret to her beautifully long, thick, strong locks and soft, flawless skin (or so I have heard)! I use this oil to protect my hair and skin (on my body) from the horrors of chlorine, before and after my daily swim. Hei Poa's pure monoi oil is available in a selection of "flavours", including vanilla, coconut and frangipani.

10. Aveda Pure Abundance Hair Potion



I first bought this irreplaceable product on the advice of Zoe Foster, who has dubbed it "magic dust". All you do is sprinkle the dust onto your fingers, rub it sparingly through your roots, and suddenly you have achieved that coveted lived-in, tousled look so effortlessly modeled by ingenues worldwide. 

11. Korres Milk Proteins Foaming Milk Cleanser


Another recent discovery, this beautiful skincare product is one of those rare cleansing gems that manage to hydrate and nourish the skin while leaving it feeling fresh and clean. It is ideal for targeting the simultaneous oiliness and dehydration that accompanies the onset of summer. Korres has recently elevated itself to one of my favourite brands - its Wild Rose Face and Eye Serum and Pomegranate Cleansing Scrub are equally lovely. 

12. Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau


This eau de toilette from French perfumer Diptyque is described as a "bouquet of roses and blueberry leaves". Designed to evoke the aura of a green riverside garden, amongst the trees, it is subtle, fresh and gorgeous - a perfect blend of florals, fruit and greenery. Plus it looks so charming in my room! (With its room spray and candle counterparts, called Baies.)

8 comments:

Kimberley said...

Oh I love these posts, there are so many of these products I want to try! (Mainly the By Terry foundcation and the Stila colour aaand the hair potion aaand I LOOOVE that perfume!!
Such a gorgeous list!

Laura Valerie said...

Thank you K! So happy you liked it :) xx

Anonymous said...

Great products! The Korres cleanser sounds amazing!

Jadegrrrl said...

Great post, I must admit I'm smitten with Amber Diamond :D

Anonymous said...

Oh! Want Amber Diamond and Stila One Step and Starfruit! I can't see One Step on Mecca.com, do we not have it here?

Blog is fabulous, lovely, enjoying it immensely xox

Laura Valerie said...

Hi Loola! Yes Mecca does stock the One Step, it is here: http://www.meccacosmetica.com.au/shop/Stila/OneStepMakeupPrimeColour/ Capri Coral and Kitten are also gorgeous! And they can be used on eyes and lips as well. xx

Anonymous said...

Easy lover must be mine! I'm so attracted to vivid pink at the moment for some reason.

Agreed re the Laura Mercier tinted moist and the Nars Orgasm - I use both regularly.

And you must try the Korres Yoghurt mask next if you have not already. :) x

Kirsten said...

Hi Laura, I'd love to try out the tinted moisturiser, do you know where I could buy Laura Mercier stuff in stores or is it only avilable online? Thank you!