Sunday, October 31, 2010

a letter


The other day, I read this lovely post by Gaynor Alder of The Modern Woman's Survival Guide in which she wrote a heartfelt letter to her 16-year-old self. It drew me into a cloud of nostalgia and I took up her invitation to write such a letter to myself at the same age. Here it is, reposted in all its glory...

Dear 16-year-old Me…

Be true to yourself.
Take chances.
Read.
Don’t diet.

Love, 21-year-old Me.

I think those four lines sum everything up perfectly... there's not much else to say. Life is simple really, when you think about it. Of course, that's easy to say when you're looking back, but not so easy to believe when you're in the midst of it.

P.S. Please spare a few minutes to take a hop, skip and a jump over to Gaynor's riveting travel tale Byron Bay: The Uncut Version... it's truly brilliant. 

3 comments:

Author said...

Tres lovely to be featured on your beautiful blog Laura. I love your work and your blog is heartfelt, real and inspirational. xx

Kimberley said...

There are so many things that I know now that I wish I knew when I was 16. However, I know that the only way I could learn is by experiencing what I have. I love your thought and nostalgia provoking blog entries xx

Laura Valerie said...

Oh thank you so much TPW, it is my pleasure!

Thanks Kimberley, I agree... and of course, most of things I have since learned I could have known had I actually listened to the advice of people older and wiser than me!