Friday, July 2, 2010

five weeks

So, I have recently finished final exams for the semester and I have a lovely, long five week break ahead of me.

What I really want to work on during my break is prioritising. I tend to want to do and be good at so many things that I paralyse myself. I want to wake up early and yet I also want to stay up late reading fashion blogs. I want to do well in my exams yet I also want to preoccupy myself with twitter and authors@Google. I want to lose weight yet I also want to sit in bed and watch Top Chef on my laptop. I want to save money yet I also want to buy clothes and makeup and books and magazines.

I recently read The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone, which is absolutely fantastic and has completely changed the way I think about food. She said something that really struck me in her introduction: that the only way she can maintain her diet is to make food her priority. And that really struck a chord with me. (By the way - I really, really love the idea of being vegan, but it's not so easy in practice. So I'm working on cutting down on meat and animal by-products, slowly but surely. I'm not going to pretend that I am entirely embracing veganism or macrobiotics, but I am determined to try).

So my priorities for this break are as follows:

1. Write.
2. Exercise.
3. Unclutter.
4. Read.

That is all. So far, it's not going so well. I am struggling to write coherently, and I have missed the gym for the last two days. My room is still full of empty boxes, ready to cart out my junk. I have read three books, if that's any consolation. So I suppose you could say that prioritising is something that I'm still working on; with the aspiration to have something to show for it before I start a new semester at uni, afresh.

No comments: