Sunday, July 4, 2010

visualisation

I don't believe in The Secret. I know that I wrote in a previous post that I was "embracing" the law of attraction, but that is only because I believe in the concept, in an abstract sense. I believe that being purposeful, having clear goals and direction and working towards something helps us to achieve our dreams and aspirations. I don't think that there is any magic involved at all, but I do think that it is more likely that your life will evolve the way you want it to if you can picture the way you would like your future to turn out. This way, your path will be more direct.

So these are a few, somewhat materialistic, things that I am "visualising" right now...

A bicycle




Or, to be more specific, looking absolutely adorable on a bicycle, preferably somewhere in Europe. New York will also do quite nicely.

Cute vintage caravan


For travelling around Australia with my boyfriend Andy, à la a memoir I recently read called Love and Other U-Turns by Louisa Deasey. Some friends, including Andy, have expressed their doubts about the likelihood of this ever happening...

Prism glasses


A writing career




Sarah Wilson on the Mumbo Report, talking about her covetable "portfolio career".

Like I said, I don't believe that just visualising these things will "attract" them to me. I know that I actually have to take steps to grab them for myself. But I think that it helps, in a way - if only to justify all the time I spend dreaming.

Here is some food for thought: the darker side to positive thinking, by Barbara Ehrenreich. In animation. Warning: these videos are dangerously addictive (in a good way, unless you have work to do).



And a few intriguing quotes from another Barbara, Barbara Kingsolver...


"The very least you can do in your life is figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance, but live right in it, under its roof."

"Your dreams, what you hope for and all that, it's not separate from your life. It grows right up out of it. "

"It's the one thing we never quite get over: that we contain our own future."

3 comments:

Kimberley said...

As well as a chic bicycle, I'm visualising Adrian Grenier riding it with me... If only.

Anonymous said...

I think I am quite similar to you in the fact that I am interested in the concept of positive thinking equating in positive outcomes, but do not believe that thinking about a ferrari means a ferrari will show up in my driveway tomorrow.

I've had quite a journey over the past few years as far as positive mindset goes. An ex boyfriend of mine first introduced me to the concept of the power of the mind and I've been so curious about it ever since. One interesting thing that happened to me is that for the longest time he told me to watch this film "what the bleep do we know" and I couldn't seem to find it anywhere. Then one day I happened to be flicking through the foxtel channels and it was being screened once or twice in the whole month. Such a strange sign. I watched it, learned a little bit from it and have grown ever since!

wow, rant much? lol.

xo

Laura Valerie said...

Oh Adrian Grenier... don't we all!

Belle, I would love to see that movie. I think The Secret (the book by Rhonda Byrne) is very superficial, but the ideas behind it are valuable... I think that we get so caught up in day-to-day routine and fail to see the bigger picture, tripping ourselves up. And positive thinking is definitely an important ingredient to success and happiness, but not the be all, end all. Hard work, diligence and a bit of luck all help too. xxx